(Riya Saha, Intern Journalist )Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad termed the banning of 59 Chinese applications, as “digital strike” in a bid to protect data of countrymen.
“For security and sovereignty of India, for countrymen’s digital security and privacy we have banned 59 apps, including TikTok. India knows how to look in the eyes of those eyeing our borders and to protect countrymen, India can even do a digital strike,” said Prasad as BJP rally in Bengal.
“We are witnessing a strange trend in Bengal; the ruling TMC had earlier asked why we were not banning the apps, now they want to know why we are banning the apps. This is strange, why can’t they stand with the government at the time of crisis,” he added, attacking the Mamta Bannerjee government in the state.
On Wednesday, Prasad said that the country’s dependence on “foreign apps which have all agenda for a variety of reasons must stop.”
“In the wake of the ban which we have imposed … I don’t want to go into the details of it … emergency powers have been exercised and the legal processes have been followed. But I think it is a great opportunity for goods and apps made by Indians,” he had said at a virtual conference to mark five years of the completion of Digital India.
“Now you can hear about only two ‘Cs’ – coronavirus and China. We believe in peace and solve problems through discussion, but if somebody casts an evil eye on India, we will give a befitting reply… if our 20 jawans have sacrificed their lives, then the toll is double on the Chinese side. You all must have noticed that they have not come out with any figure,” the Law, Communications, Electronics, and Information Technology Minister said.
India’s surprise move has affected Chinese tech firms at a time when they are starting to make inroads to tap into the country’s vast market where mobile phone usage is high and data is relatively cheaper compared to other nations.